Thursday, July 11, 2013

Jodi Picoult and The Storyteller

Here is a guest post from Lit Pet

 
Boww….Bow…wooww….

When I came out of the circus show, it was six in the evening and everyone was turning their butts opposite their home. All faces toward home, and I, the lone dog, skidded and wobbled around their massive treading on the flat ground, outside the circus tent. I might have managed to move a few feet through the crowd, when the sound of some quality came to my ears. My ears stood up and like a dart missile, pointed at the location where the sound was coming from. Boww….wooww…At first, I was not sure, if it was the right place to look for. Then, a beetle was a beetle, crunchy and delicious. The sound I heard was almost like that of a beetle, but muffled by something.

Let’s see. Boowww….wooww…

However, I could not find anything there. My nostrils failed me. Suddenly, I realized the possibility of digging the ground. I started scratching first and then, as the people slowly dispersed, digging with much ardent effort. A hollow sound came, first. Then it became more solid, and as the soil was moved, the surface of something solid, but not natural, came up. I sniffed it. It smelled metallic. When I took it out, it was a radio. It made a strange sound.

Once I reached the same old telephone booth, I skipped inside the darkness behind it, and decided to spend the night there. What about a song? I looked for a station on the frequency marker, but there was none. I tuned the thing, turning the knob, anyway. Boowww….wooww… This came out first. 
 
Jodi Picoult, the author of the bestselling novel, Lone Wolf, has a new book for us this year. Titled, The Storyteller, the novel tells us the story of “Sage Singer, [who] befriends an old man who's particularly beloved in her community. Josef Weber is everyone's favorite retired teacher and Little League coach and they strike up a friendship at the bakery where Sage works. One day he asks Sage for a favor: to kill him. Shocked, Sage refuses…and then he confesses his darkest secret - he deserves to die, because he was a Nazi SS guard. Complicating the matter? Sage's grandmother is a Holocaust survivor. What do you do when evil lives next door?” (Courtesy: Jodipicoult.com)

Jodi is 46, and she has written 21 books, all of them are fiction. She has co-written a YA novel with her daughter, Samantha van Lee, titled, Between the Lines (2012). She maintains a very impressive website, http://jodipicoult.com/index.html
The Storyteller is already in NY Times bestselling list.

Thank you so much Lit Pet, for this amazing article!

No comments: