Sunday, September 21, 2014

THE CIRCLE OF DECEIT

Kalakar Colony  
Round-2
  Chapter 11
Roohi and Krishna

“How did you find me, Krishna?” Roohi was eager.
“Run,” he said.
“Tell me how you found me,” she insisted.
“Run,” the young man only said.

The sun was red hot and the road was a black oven fuming with vengeance. The road seemed to be a forgotten bypass to some old work site. Roohi felt her soft paws heating up inside the flat-black school shoes.

“Where are we going Krishna?” Roohi mumbled. Krishna, this time, did not say a word. Roohi felt safe in the tight grip on her right arm. The young man with a single shiny metal earring didn’t seem to give up on her, when no one else showed signs of looking for Roohi.

“No one wants me Krishna,” Roohi managed to utter through a hardened throat and shivering lips.

Roohi’s mind wandered into a dream she had. The crowd of people moving away. Then she thought about the photographer. Then the man with the fair neck and bullet pendant. Her thoughts were crowded. But the faces of her father and mother still squeezed in. Those two faces made her cry.

“You have no manners, Krishna...no mutual respect,” Roohi complained. The two ran on the narrow blacktop road towards what seemed to be a white sky and a few tree lines. Was the sea beyond that tree line? Roohi wondered. Where was she? She didn’t know. Perhaps, Krishna does.

“Manners…? Why...What did I do?” Krishna slowed down for a breath.
“I am tired...I am dying…,” Roohi said.
“What did I do…? We have to reach to my bike!” the young man kept saying.
“Don’t scare me, you understand? I am NOT being kidnapped. It’s a game I play with my grandpa...” Roohi admonished him in a way only kids can. Kids who do not understand much.

“Where shall we go now, Krishna?”
“To a safer place,” he said.
They heard a bike revving up in the distance. Roohi looked at the white sky at the distance, where the road went up the hill. There must be ocean beyond the treetops.  

“Run!” She heard Krishna command. 

To be continued  Here
Thank you for reading. 
 
 “Me and my team are participating in ‘Game Of Blogs’ at BlogAdda.com. #CelebrateBlogging with us.”

No comments: